Monday, January 11, 2016

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas.



Think of your favorite Christmas song. Maybe narrow it down to your favorite non church Christmas song, one of the ones they play on repeat in the stores 24-7 starting before the turkey dinner has fully digested in your stomach (if not sooner). Then think of your least favorite song, or the one the gets stuck in your head the most. Look at the lyrics. I’m willing to bet that it has the words “snow”, “cold”, “fire”, “white”, or some other reference to the weather, or temperature, or some cold weather activity like drinking hot chocolate or roasting chestnuts. I know that personally, when I summon images of Christmas and the Holidays to mind, I think of snow (or at least in my home town, cold rain). It would be hard to imagine Christmas in the middle of summer, right? Welcome to the southern hemisphere. It was 80-85° on Christmas Day. The house I was at had a pool, and it was utilized. Most people go to the beach as their after Christmas lunch tradition. I mean, the saying “Christmas in July” in practice, isn’t as nice as one would think. And that was just one of the things I had to adjust to.
I’ll be honest, it was a little difficult to get in the “Christmas Spirit”. Part of it was the weather. Part of it was the lack on over-commercialization (They don’t play Christmas songs 24-7 everywhere here along with adverts every 5 seconds. Or at least I wasn’t in the shops as much as I usually am). Part of it was the loneliness. The holidays are inherently a family-and-friend centric time period. I don’t spend a whole lot of time with my family, we haven’t taken any long holiday trips in a while, but we still spend time together, and Christmas day is celebrated with them and with my family in Charleston. I think that is one of the aspects that contributed the most to my lack of feeling like it was Christmas. The days leading up to the holiday were spent much like I would any other day in the care center. Sure, the other workers had some holiday spirit, but it didn’t quite touch me as much as in previous years. Even helping decorate the center didn’t do much to improve my eagerness. (Fake) pine trees seem to clash with the bright sunny exterior. Santa in his big red coat seems ridiculous when it is upwards of 80 regularly (he would roast alive, I know I do and I have appropriate clothing). Even putting up snow-in-a-can couldn’t help, because it is a sup-par substitute for the real thing. There is no way around it, being alone during the holidays is very tough.
This experience gives me a much better understanding of the international students I encountered in my time as a Resident Advisor for Marshall University. If anything, I wish I could have learned this experience earlier in life. If I could go back, I would have done a lot more to try and include those international students around holiday times. In fact, if any of my former colleagues, or anyone who works in residence life is reading this, I would suggest strongly taking this to heart, and reaching out to them. It’s one thing to know as a concept how hard it is to be away from one’s family and friends during the holidays, it’s an entirely different thing to experience the crushing loneliness and feelings of depression and isolation one can incur. It also allows me to understand the international student’s tendencies to clump together and not branch outside of their fellow international students. Having someone from back home, even if it is a completely different part of the country, can be comforting when everyone around you seems different than yourself. I know spending the holidays with the other YASC members that are stationed in Tanzania and other parts of South Africa made it much more bearable for me. But our shenanigans in Cape Town are a story for another blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment